Art Business: Changing the Way You Think

What is the first thing you have to do to pursue art as a business? I have a whole list of first steps to take to get you started, but today, we are going to discuss the very first step. Here we are assuming that your art is at a level that has showmanship and the potential to sell; but this step isn't necessarily about the quality of your art, it's the quality of your mindset.

You have to decide that you ARE an artist. Not just any artist, but you are a PROFESSIONAL artist. Can you say that? Try it out loud, right now. "I am a professional artist". Or say simply, "I am an artist." Was that hard? I know it was for me, for a long time.

I remember the first time I made a similar statement. I was at my school reunion. We were all asked to stand up individually, and tell everyone who we were, what we did, and what our aspirations are. I said, "My name is Amy VanGaasbeck, I am an art instructor at this school, and I plan to become a professional artist in the next few years."

Immediately upon saying that, my inner voice screamed, "LIAR! You know you aren't professional, and how can you actually say you are an ARTIST? Your art isn't good enough. You are dreaming, and everybody knows it. You just stood up and made a fool out of yourself, as if you stood up and said you were going to be a cowboy astronaut."

I felt really embarrassed upon saying that, although I didn't show it. In reality, nobody laughed at me. Maybe some of them even believed me.  I don't know what their thoughts were, but I am sure I was harder on myself than anybody in that room.

However, saying that out loud made a change in me. Voicing an idea, positive or negative, makes it more real. I had just gone public. I decided that if I was going to say it, that I should start doing something to follow through with it. I started thinking about art school and galleries, and it took a few more years for me to follow through, but eventually I made the jump. Eventually it became easier to say, "I am an artist" without making an apologetic face. It took a lot of practice saying it out loud, though. It took removing excuses and attitudes from my life, and it took removing non-supportive people from my circle of influence.

You have to look at your personal life, and look at the excuses you have made for not pursuing your goal. Some of these excuses may have some validity, but are you hiding behind them? Have you allowed these excuses to make you a victim? My excuses included that I had young children to take care of, I didn't have time, I didn't have money, my art wasn't professional yet, and I didn't know where to start, and could someone really make an income as an artist anyway? Each one seemed valid, but upon looking deeper, they were just excuses. I could work around them or get over them, I just had to be creative and find a way. Excuses will always stop you. So get rid of them. Take responsibility for your actions and where you are in life, and just do it. Don't beat yourself up for waiting so long to start, just go for it.

If you are going to make it as an artist, or with any goal, you are going to have to take a look at your support circle. You need to have people who are willing to encourage you to follow your goal. You need to have people who will give you good advice and honestly criticize your art. Watch out for yes-people who just flatter without giving any real opinion to their comments (these people will always be there, but learn to identify them and not let their flattery spoil you), and you should remove the non-supportive, negative people. This is very important.

If you are like me, it's easy to let your negativity control your inner voice when it comes to your own art. I was overly critical of my art. It's good to be critical, but don't beat yourself up. And when an outside influence starts in with negativity without giving any practical criticism, it just strengthens your own negativity. It will stunt your growth as an artist. You are at a sensitive place, in just making the decision to pursue art as a career or even as a hobby, and making that decision will cause non-supportive people to speak up. They may be jealous that you are following your dream. They may feel threatened that you have some amazing talent. They may be angry at themselves for not following their dream and so they take it out on you. Whatever the reason, it doesn't really matter right now. You have to find a way to create distance from those people. When you do, you will notice a change in your own thinking.

So start telling yourself, and others, that you are an artist. Say it with confidence.And when you do, others will start referring to you as "artist". I you believe, they will, too. Sometimes you have to fake it 'til you make it. I did; and now I can say with confidence that I am an artist. Duh! Yes, I am an artist, and a good one! The quality of my work is professional. I am a professional artist. Of course I am! I have worked hard to get here, and I will continue at it to achieve higher levels of quality. Because that's what we professionals do.

Stay tuned for more business topics. I hope my ideas and insight can help you on your journey. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victorian House

In the Spotlight: Sherri Kay Linnemeyer

Art History: The Lascaux Cave Paintings