Criticizing Art


As an artist, I believe one must be able to take and use criticism to improve their work. In class, I actually look forward to being critiqued, to find out what is off and needs work. I like improving.
I would like to add that in my art, I am not seeking people's approval, not looking for a pat on the back....it's nice, but not necessary.However, I have come to the conclusion that some people will never like my work. Some people will always be negative about it no matter what I do. They will always have something to say about it---not constructive criticism, just something to let me know that I missed the mark, that they are upset with it or disappointed that I didn't do a better job. They look for me to fail and when I do, it gives them satisfaction in knowing they were right about me all along. And yes, it does sting, especially when those people are ones that are supposed to love and support you.  I think some people may have personal issues that they are dealing with and feel that putting someone down gives them control or builds themselves up. Sometimes it isn't that they don't like my work, they just don't like me, or what I represent to them. I know whenever the subject of my art or anything else I do is brought up, mean little jabs will always be said to let me know I am not good enough.

I do not normally trace anything, although in some kinds of art, sometimes tracing is used to transfer a design. A while back I did an experiment. I traced a photo of a person's family member, and then shaded it in like a normal drawing, and showed it to them---the proportions were perfect (traced---duh!) and this person said, "Who is that supposed to be? I don't recognize them." I told them who it was and they proceeded with, "You got the face wrong---the face is too long and the mouth is too broad." It was a perfect copy of their face. That proved to me that it really didn't matter what I did, it wouldn't be right.

"Who does she think she is? She thinks she's so special. Does she really think she can make it as an artist? She's just wasting her time and money. I could do better than that."
It's bad enough that sometimes I have thought things like this, but when the same things---my worst fears about myself--are spoken by other people---that's even worse.


I have come a long way in my art since starting college. I am at a point now, where I know I am a good artist. I am no master, but I am good at what I do. I can say that without feeling like I am lying or boasting. I know it's true. I have had some excellent reviews of my work by working professional artists. I have heard people comment on my work in galleries. Others know I am good.

So from now on, I am determined not to let these people get to me. They have their own issues and in their eyes I will never be enough, but my journey is not about them, it is about cultivating the giftings and talents that God has given me, and using them for His will. The only person I should care about pleasing is GOD.Remember this when criticizing an artist. Separate the work from the person who made it. There is a real live person behind the painting. Be honest about what you think. Find the positive in it, find the negative, and whenever giving a critique, sandwich the suggestions between two positive ideas. We criticize ourselves enough, we don't need to be abused, but we do need your honest, helpful opinions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victorian House

Sculpting a nude man

Geisha